Rule Pertains to:
MA coach accreditation levels for assessing a Supercross competitor for a licence endorsement.
Current Rule in the 2017 Manual of Motorcycle Sport:
12.9 ELIGIBILITY: SUPERCROSS
12.9.1 Supercross Licence Conditions
126.96.36.199 To be endorsed as a Supercross competitor, a person must:
a) Use a solo Motocross-type machine with a capacity of at least 80cc,
c) Attend a Supercross training school conducted by an MA accredited coach, Clarification:
It has been brought to our attention that some State Controlling Bodies, Coaches and Competitors are unsure of the accreditation and competency requirements that must be held by a coach to conduct a Supercross training school and assess a rider for Supercross licence endorsement.
The current rule states two items (Supercross training school and MA accredited coach) that must be present to assess a competitor for Supercross competency.
- The only way that a competitor may be assessed for a Supercross licence endorsement is by participating in a permitted Supercross training school.
- A “Supercross Training School” must be a legitimate MA or SCB permitted coaching event held at a suitable Supercross venue.
- The “School” must provide instruction, the opportunity to practice skills, offer feedback and evaluation of riders with the aim of individuals achieving Supercross endorsement.
- The permit number of the Supercross Training school will be recorded against an individual’s application for Supercross endorsement
- The current regulations do not require a Coach to be Level 2 or hold additional Supercross Coaching endorsement to conduct Supercross Training schools.
- A current MA accredited Level 1 or Level 2 coach* may apply for a permit from a Relevant Controlling Body** to conduct a Supercross training school providing he/she:
- Has the proven requisite skills to conduct a Supercross training school,
- Ensures the quality, standards and structure of the school complies to MA’s coaching methodology,
- Adheres to the principles and regulations taught and agreed to, within their coaching accreditation training,
- Has the accountability to sign off on the competencies of individuals participating in the school.
*A Level O coach cannot conduct a SX training school or “sign off” on an SX endorsement as they are restricted to conducting “KickStart” coaching only.
** Before issuing a permit, the RCB, must make the assessment of whether the Coach is suitably skilled to run a Supercross training school.
(03) 9684 0512